Wednesday - August 17, 2011

From: Webster, NY
Topic: Herbs/Forbs
Title: Flowers that open during the day from Webster NY

Can you provide some information on flowers and plants that open during day with some examples.

We would say that the majority of plants bloom during the day, because most plants need sunlight to encourage blooming. You can go to our Recommended  Species and find some plants that our webpages on each plant don't mention as being night-blooming plants. Choose these plants by clicking on New York on the map, which will bring up a long list of plants. Using the sidebar on the right hand side of that page, select "Herbs" under General Appearance and Narrow Your Search. Follow the italicized plant links to find our page on each plant, which will usually include a picture; this will produce a list of 48 blooming plants. We will look at some of those to find plants that do not specify night bloomers. You can repeat this process to make your own list, and go to the Image Gallery to find pictures.

Day blooming flowers for New York:

Aquilegia canadensis (Eastern red columbine)

Asclepias tuberosa (Butterflyweed)

Campanula rotundifolia (Bluebell bellflower)

Coreopsis lanceolata (Lanceleaf coreopsis)

Lobelia cardinalis (Cardinal flower)

Monarda didyma (Scarlet beebalm)

Eastern red columbine
Aquilegia canadensis

Bluebell bellflower
Campanula rotundifolia

Cardinal flower
Lobelia cardinalis

Lanceleaf coreopsis
Coreopsis lanceolata

Scarlet beebalm
Monarda didyma