Tuesday - June 06, 2006

From: San Antonio, TX
Topic: Non-Natives, Edible Plants
Title: Best vegetables to grow in San Antonio
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Joe Marcus

What vegtables are the safest bet for growing in San Antonio? Thanks

As it turns out there are very few native plants that could be considered vegetables. The only one that comes to mind native to south Texas is Chile pequin (Capsicum annuum) which would do very well in your San Antonio garden. Since our focus and expertise at the Wildflower Center are native plants, you best bet for information about appropriate vegetables for your garden is the Texas Cooperative Extension Program in Bexar County. They have a page, Best Plants for Bexar County, with information about spring and fall vegetable garden plants and planting dates.