Thursday - July 28, 2011

From: Dunnellon, FL
Title: Air layering with Spanish moss from Dunnellon FL

Is it possible to air layer plant cuttings using Spanish Moss instead of Sphagum Moss? I have a yard full! Thanks

We searched on sites about air layering (listed below, with links) and found no mention of using any other material than sphagnum moss, apparently because it soaks up moisture and holds it around the area. If you feel like experimenting, you could always try it, we have no personal experience in the process, nor with Tillandsia usneoides (Spanish moss), which is native to your area. In spite of the similarity in their common names, they are not closely related; Spanish Moss is a member of the Bromeliaceae or airplant family, and sphagnum moss is a member of the Sphagnaceae family. More information and pictures on sphagnum moss.

Texas A&M Horticulture Air Layeriing

Iowa State University How to air layer a houseplant

Florida Gardener Air Layering

Spanish moss
Tillandsia usneoides

Spanish moss
Tillandsia usneoides

Spanish moss
Tillandsia usneoides

Spanish moss
Tillandsia usneoides