Mr. Smarty Plants - Is Panicum virgatum native to Pennsylvania

Friday - July 22, 2011

From: Philadelphia, PA
Title: Is Panicum virgatum native to Pennsylvania

QUESTION:

Is Panicum virgatum native to PA? I do not see it in your database but it is listed as a native in many places.

ANSWER:

Yes, Panicum virgatum (Switchgrass) is native to Pennsylvania and is in our Native Plant Database. You can follow the link to our webpage on this plant and learn about its light requirements, growing conditions and so forth. This USDA Plant Profile Map shows the counties in Pennsylvania where it is known to grow natively, but plants don't stop at county lines.

Switchgrass
Panicum virgatum

Switchgrass
Panicum virgatum

Switchgrass
Panicum virgatum