Mr. Smarty Plants - Looking for the tallest okra stalk in Waco, TX.

Friday - July 22, 2011

From: Waco, TX
Title: Looking for the tallest okra stalk in Waco, TX.

QUESTION:

I am looking for the tallest okra stalk in Waco,Texas. Back in the 1950s, it was in the Waco paper but I can't find it. My Grandfather's name was Robert W. Goss of Waco, and he had his picture taken with that stalk. Thank you for your help

ANSWER:

Well Mr. Smarty Plants can tell you that okra (Hibiscus esculentus) is a member of the Mallow family and closely related to cotton and Hibiscus. However, it is a non-native, and we wouldn’t expect to find a picture of it in our Image Gallery.

I have been in touch with the Genealogy Library in Waco, and they told me they would contact you via e-mail to get more details to help them with their search. Hopefully you will soon have the picture of this tall okra plant with your grandfather.