Mr. Smarty Plants - Common name of non-native Senna corymbosa (Argentine senna)

Saturday - July 16, 2011

From: San Marcos, TX
Title: Common name of non-native Senna corymbosa (Argentine senna)

QUESTION:

I just had a plant identified as Senna corymbosa. Can you tell me whether it's a Texas native and what its common name is? Thanks.

ANSWER:

Senna corymbosa (Argentine senna) is an introduced plant from South America—Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay.  That's why it doesn't appear in our Native Plant Database.  This USDA Plants Database map shows the distribution of the plant in North America.