Friday - July 15, 2011

From: Dallas, TX
Topic: Non-Natives, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Is Hibiscus coccineus still considered native in Dallas, TX?
Answered by: Jimmy Mills & Joe Marcus

QUESTION:

Is Hibiscus coccineus still considered native?. I recently was told by someone with the Native Texas Plant Society that it was no longer thought to have crossed the Sabine naturally. Thoughts?Thank you,

ANSWER:

Hibiscus coccineus (Scarlet rose-mallow), even though one of its common names is Texas Star Hibiscus, is not considered a Texas native. It is sometimes commonly called swamp hibiscus because it is native to marshes and swamps in Alabama, Georgia and Florida (Missouri Botanical Garden). It’s USDA Plants Profile shows it to be distributed in the Southeastern US only as far west as Louisiana.

Scarlet rosemallow
Hibiscus coccineus

Scarlet rosemallow
Hibiscus coccineus