Wednesday - July 13, 2011

From: New Orleans, LA
Title: Acacia tree that will grow in Louisiana

QUESTION:

Please tell me if there are any Acacia Trees that will grow in direct sun in Louisiana. I really want to plant some from seeds but don't which to get for zone 8. Thank you Mr Smarty Plants

ANSWER:

Acacia farnesiana (Huisache) should grow quite happily in New Orleans, Louisiana, and in the sun.  Here is the USDA Plants Database distribution map for LouisianaAcacia angustissima (Prairie acacia) also occurs in Louisiana and grows in both part shade and sun.  The distribution map for Louisiana, however, doesn't show it occurring in the New Orleans area.  It might work, too, but you probably would be wise to stick to the huisache acacia.

Huisache
Acacia farnesiana

Huisache
Acacia farnesiana

Huisache
Acacia farnesiana

Prairie acacia
Acacia angustissima