Mr. Smarty Plants - Need help with my 25 yr old Mountain Ash in Clinton Township, MI.

Monday - July 11, 2011

From: Clinton Township, MI
Topic: Diseases and Disorders, Trees
Title: Need help with my 25 yr old Mountain Ash in Clinton Township, MI.

QUESTION:

For the first time our 25yr old mountain ash tree has dying branches, we removed one branch and it seems to have spread to other branches? What should we do?

ANSWER:

Well you didn't give Mr. Smarty Plants much information to work with, but he thinks he could probably rule out transplant shock.

There are several trees that have the common name Mountain Ash, but there are only two of these that occur naturally in Michigan: Sorbus americana (American mountain ash), and Sorbus decora (Northern mountain ash).

My recommendation is for you to contact some one knowledgeable to take a good look at your tree to analyze the problem. This person could be an agent from Michigan State University Extension, a member of the Michigan Botanical Club ( a native plant society), or a Certified Arborist.