Mr. Smarty Plants - Ground cover for Plano, Texas

Wednesday - July 06, 2011

From: Plano, TX
Topic: Groundcovers
Title: Ground cover for Plano, Texas

QUESTION:

Looking for perennial seeds, maximum height 6 inches. Basically, a ground cover. Flowering would be nice but not #1 on list. Medium to maximum sun. Don't have the best soil, but fertilizer, sprinkler system. Want to start indoors and plant when tough enough. Thanks in advance!

ANSWER:

Here are some native plants suitable for ground cover in Collin County:

Calyptocarpus vialis (Straggler daisy) grows 6 to 12 inches, but can be mowed to 2 to 4 inches.

Phyla nodiflora (Texas frogfruit) grows 3 to 6 inches.

Dichondra carolinensis (Carolina ponysfoot) grows up to 5 inches.

Sedum nuttallianum (Yellow stonecrop) grows 2 to 4 inches.

Portulaca pilosa (Chisme) grows less than 6 inches.

Glandularia canadensis (Rose vervain) grows 5 to 10 inches.

Phlox drummondii (Annual phlox) grows 6 to 12 inches.

Glandularia bipinnatifida var. bipinnatifida (Prairie verbena) grows 6 to 12 inches.

Geum canadense (White avens) grows to 18 inches but can be mowed to 4 inches.

Packera obovata (Golden groundsel) is evergreen, grows to 18 inches but can be mowed to 3 inches.

You can search our National Suppliers Directory for nurseries and seed companies in your area that specialize in native plants.

Straggler daisy
Calyptocarpus vialis

Straggler daisy
Calyptocarpus vialis

Texas frogfruit
Phyla nodiflora

Texas frogfruit
Phyla nodiflora

Carolina ponysfoot
Dichondra carolinensis

Yellow stonecrop
Sedum nuttallianum

Kiss me quick
Portulaca pilosa

Rose vervain
Glandularia canadensis

Annual phlox
Phlox drummondii

Prairie verbena
Glandularia bipinnatifida var. bipinnatifida

White avens
Geum canadense

Golden groundsel
Packera obovata