Mr. Smarty Plants - Why do my Possumhaw Holly berries fall of in the summer in Euless, TX?

Tuesday - June 28, 2011

From: Euless, TX
Title: Why do my Possumhaw Holly berries fall of in the summer in Euless, TX?

QUESTION:

My possumhaw holly has LOTS of green berries in the spring but they fall off in summer, so that I have only a handful of red berries in the winter. What is going wrong?

ANSWER:

One of the reasons for planting possumhaw Ilex decidua (Possumhaw) is for the beautiful red berries in the fall and winter. When they aren't abundant, its disappointing.

Mr. Smarty Plants is guessing that the problem has something to do with water, probably too little. Once the plant has flowered and the fruit is set, the cells inside the fruit require sufficeint moisture to divide and enlarge to fill out the fruit. Without enough water, all of the fruit can't develop.

This link from Oregon State University has some informative watering tips.

Possumhaw
Ilex decidua