Friday - June 24, 2011

From: Pocatello, ID
Title: Non-native little leaf linden (Tilia cordata)

QUESTION:

What is the name of the little leaf linden that has no flowers or pods to shed?

ANSWER:

Tilia cordata (little leaf linden) is a non-native tree from Europe.  As such, it isn't really within our purview since our focus and expertise is with plants native to North America.  If you search on the scientific name on Google, you might be able to find the variety without flowers or fruit—although I didn't after a quick search. 

There is a North American native linden, Tilia americana (American basswood).  Instead of the European Linden tree, why not consider the native one for your garden.

American basswood
Tilia americana

American basswood
Tilia americana