Mr. Smarty Plants - More information about Trillium in New Jersey

Thursday - June 23, 2011

From: Newton, NJ
Title: More information about Trillium in New Jersey

QUESTION:

Hi, Nan. FYI. The Trillium seeds in question came from the State of Alabama. If you have an interest in seeing photos of this Trillium and two others in my garden, which are different and which I believe to be T. cuneatum and T. sessile, I would be pleased to send them along. I got in touch with you because I, too, had not had success discovering what this species is.

ANSWER:

Ah ha!   Since the seeds are from Alabama, I have another suggestionTrillium decumbens (trailing wakerobin).  Here are some more photos from the Wildflowers of the United States, Gulf Coast Research Corporation and the Pacific Bulb Society.  Here's the description from eFloras.org.  This sounds very much like your description from the previous question.  It is listed as "Endangered" in Tennessee.