Friday - June 17, 2011

Title: Plant identification

There is a sweet pea like vine that grows along the road in NC. IT is pink and looks much like a sweet pea. What is it?

Here are three possibilities for a sweetpea-like vine with pink flowers that grows in Henderson County, North Carolina:

Clitoria mariana (Atlantic pigeonwings) and here are more photos.

Galactia volubilis (Downy milkpea) and here are more photos.

Vicia caroliniana (Carolina vetch) and here are more photos.

If none of these looks like the vine you are seeing, take photos and then visit our Plant Identification page to find links to several plant identification forums that accept photos for identification.

Atlantic pigeonwings
Clitoria mariana

Atlantic pigeonwings
Clitoria mariana

Downy milkpea
Galactia volubilis

Downy milkpea
Galactia volubilis

Carolina vetch
Vicia caroliniana

Carolina vetch
Vicia caroliniana