Friday - June 17, 2011

From: Lufkin, TX
Title: Plant identification

QUESTION:

I have an area of some plants growing wild in woods behind my house. It will creep onto adjoining plants and has a delicate lavender colored flower that is curled up similar to a sweetpea, has a very mild smell. Can you identify it?

ANSWER:

Here are some native vines with lavender/pink flowers shaped like sweetpeas that grow in or adjacent to Angelina County:

Clitoria mariana (Atlantic pigeonwings) and here are more photos.

Galactia volubilis (Downy milkpea) and here are more photos.

Strophostyles helvola (Amberique-bean) and here are more photos.

If none of these looks like the vine you are seeing, take photos then visit our Plant Identification page to find links to several plant identification forums that accept photos for identification