Wednesday - June 01, 2011

From: Boerne, TX
Title: Will Black Walnut trees grow in Boerne TX?

QUESTION:

Was curious if any one sells Black Walnut Trees??? They used to be around the Boerne, TX area and I wondered if we could try to grow them.

ANSWER:

This USDA Plant Profile map shows that Juglans nigra (Black walnut) grows in or near Kendall County in the Hill Country of Central Texas. If you follow the plant link to our webpage on this plant you will learn what we know about the plant, including:

"Conditions Comments: Black walnut is slow-growing especially if not in its preferred moist, fertile, sunny site. The deep tap-root makes transplanting difficult. Nuts may become a nuisance as they litter and stain. Foliage is often attacked by caterpillars, and the species is susceptible to anthracnose which defoliates trees for the season."

"Certain plants will not grow under Black Walnut trees because of the juglones that the tree puts in the soil. Walnut husks are rich in tannins and toxins. Ground husks have provided insecticides, fish poison and black dye."

You can go to our National Suppliers' Directory, type your town and state in the "Enter Search Location" box and you will get a list of native plant nurseries, seed suppliers and landscape consultants in your general area. Each has contact information, and perhaps if they do not stock the tree, they can either order it or help you find one. Please don't plant the tree until December and January. It is too hot and too dry now, plus this tree is a high user of water and likes deep, rich soils which, along with the long taproot, is going to make it difficult to survive in your area.

Juglans nigra

Juglans nigra

Juglans nigra

Juglans nigra