Mr. Smarty Plants - Are banana plants poisonous to dogs in Metarie, LA?

From: metairie, LA
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Are banana plants poisonous to dogs in Metarie, LA?

QUESTION:

Can a dog die from eating a banana plant that I have growing in my yard?

ANSWER:

The scientific name for banana is Musa and there are several cultivars that are grown as ornamentals.

When we get questions about toxic plants, we consult a series of databases to see if the plant in question is listed.    (see below)

Toxic Plants Databases

Toxic Plants of Texas

Poisonous Plants of North Carolina   

The Merck Veterinary Manual  Table 05ASPCA   dogs & cats  

Wikipedia

University of Arkansas 

University of Illinois  (common names only)   

Cornell University Plants Poisonous to Livestock

University of Pennsylvania Poisonous Plants

Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System

California Poison Action Line

Earth Clinic

I didn't find Musa on any of the lists. This doesn't guarantee that banana plant is non-toxic, but it increases the probablity that it is. You may want to consult a local veterinarian.

The links below list foods that are known to be toxic to dogs.

The Holistic Dog

Entirely Pets