Tuesday - June 07, 2011

Title: Plant identification

Please help me identify this volunteer plant in my back yard in Austin, TX. It has long thorns. Thank you.

It would be nice to know what size your plant is and if it is a shrub or herbaceous plant since your photos were not uploaded with your question.   Our database will not accept photos. 

Here are some native possibilities for your thorny plant.  If it is a shrub (a woody plant), it could be:

All the above are natives.  There are also a couple of non-natives it might be, Pyracantha coccinea (pyracantha or firethorn) or Poncirus trifoliata (trifoliate orange).

If none of the above are your plant, you could send us a more complete description (whether it is woody or herbaceous, how large it is, the leaf shape and arrangement on the stem—alternate or opposite, whether it has conspicous flowers or fruits), we might have a better luck in identifying it.  You can also visit our Plant Identification page to find links for garden forums that accept photos for identification.

Here are photos of the above plants from our Image Gallery:

Sideroxylon lanuginosum

Zanthoxylum clava-herculis

Erythrina herbacea

Acacia farnesiana

Prosopis glandulosa

Parkinsonia aculeata

Maclura pomifera