En EspaÑol

Monday - May 15, 2006

From: Georgetown, TX
Title: Repairing damage to perennials from hailstorm
Answered by: Dean Garrett

QUESTION:

We just had a tremendous hailstorm north of Georgetown. The hail was being blown horizontally and my perennials were sheared off at the ground. Is there any advice as to how to help these plants regain their vigor? I have applied a foliar spray of compost tea. Thanks.

ANSWER:

Soil additives with nitrogen and potassium will be important to encourage leaf growth and vigor, and additional compost around the plants will also help. If any are fall bloomers, they may revive enough over the next few months that they bloom on schedule. For the others, you may have to wait until next year to see blooms. Since they're perennials, all should survive to bloom next year.