Saturday - April 23, 2011

From: Houston, TX
Topic: Herbs/Forbs
Title: Can Dicentra exemia survive in Texas from Houston

QUESTION:

Is the Houston/Austin area too hot to grow "Bleeding Hearts" dicentra eximia (King of Hearts) They seem to grow in the wild in Maryland, Virginia, and Tennessee.

ANSWER:

About all we can tell you is that this USDA Plant Profile map for Dicentra eximia (Turkey corn) does not show it growing anywhere close to Texas, period. Its habitat generally is considered to be the southern mountain forests. It likes shade, and a moist acidic soil. Follow the plant link above to see what else our Native Plant Database has to say about it, and then read Pink Fringed Bleeding Hearts from Paghat's Garden. The funny thing is, in terms of USDA Hardiness Zones, acidic soil (in Houston), and shade requirements, you should be able to grow it in Houston, but it doesn't seem to be happening. If you can lay your hands on some for propagation, and are willing to respect the cultural requirements, it might at least be worth a try.

From our Native Plant Imsge Gallery: