Wednesday - April 20, 2011

From: Oak Ridge, TN
Title: Problems with dogwood borers in TN

QUESTION:

What is the best way to treat native dogwoods infested with Dogwood borer insects? I have cut and removed the dead ones and the ones with large patches of bark missing but would like to save the remaining ones that have no external signs of infestation other then the small holes in the trunk.

ANSWER:

Unfortunately, this is out of our area of expertise.  We suggest you contact your local county agricultural extension service, depending on whether you are in Anderson or Roane County.  You may also find this article published by the University of Florida helpful.

It is heartbreaking to lose a plant as precious as Cornus florida (Flowering dogwood) which is such a widely loved icon of your area.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Cornus florida

Cornus florida

Cornus florida

Cornus florida