Sunday - April 10, 2011

From: Carrollton, TX
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Is the Texas buckeye as poisonous as the Ohio buckeye from Carrollton TX

Is the Texas buckeye as poisonous as Ohio Buckeye?

Aesculus glabra (Ohio buckeye) IS Texas buckeye. They are exactly the same plant, just each having its own common name where it is being grown. From our website on this plant:

"Warning: All parts of this tree are poisonous if taken internally. Keep away from livestock; seeds and fruits are attractive to children and are dangerous. May be Fatal if Eaten! Symptoms include muscle weakness and paralysis, dilated pupils, vomiting, diarrhea, depression, paralysis, and stupor. Toxic Principle: Glycoside aesculin, saponin aescin, possibly alkaloids."

Aesculus glabra

Aesculus glabra