Mr. Smarty Plants - Identification of plants from India

Wednesday - April 20, 2011

From: Wasaga Beach,., ON
Region: Canada
Title: Identification of plants from India

QUESTION:

Where can I find identification of a plant that is from India. It climbs up trees and has beautiful small orchid type flowers.

ANSWER:

Our focus and expertise are with plants native to North America, but we are always happy to point people to information about plants growing in other areas.   I found several online sources that could help you.   The most promising is Flowers of India.  This site has numerous photographs of plants from India that you can search by type, flower color, scientific name and other categories.  They also have a link to a Google group, efloraofindia, that specializes in identification.  I also found an online book with charming drawings, Wildflowers of India by Nimret Handa.  There is also a Flowers of India on Flickr.com with numerous photographs of Indian flowers with their names.