Mr. Smarty Plants - Difference between vetch and woolly loco

Saturday - April 29, 2006

From: Keller, TX
Title: Difference between vetch and woolly loco

QUESTION:

What is the difference between vetch and woolly loco?

ANSWER:

Both the vetches (Vicia spp.) and the plant known as woolly loco (Astragalus mollisimus) are members of the Family Fabaceae (Legume, or Bean, Family) and both are also members of the Subfamily Papilianoideae. They are member of different tribes, however—Viceae and Galegeae, respectively. The major difference between the tribes is that Tribe Viceae has tendrils instead of terminal leaflets (i.e., they are vine-like) and Tribe Galegeae are erect, non-twining plants. You can read the key for Subfamily Papilianoideae in Shinners and Mahler's Illustrated Flora of North Central Texas. The entire book is also available in several downloadable PDF files on the internet.