En EspaÑol

Thursday - April 20, 2006

From: San Angelo, TX
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Propagation of Mountain Laurel by seed

QUESTION:

I have a Texas Mountain Laurel. I found on this website that the beans are poisonous, but if you plant them, will they grow another Mountain Laurel?

ANSWER:

Yes, they certainly have the potential to grow into another Texas mountain laurel (Sophora secundiflora). If you select "Growing Conditions" from the menu at the top of the Texas mountain laurel page, you can find instructions for collecting, treating, planting and growing the seeds. Jill Nokes in How to Grow Native Plants of Texas and the Southwest says:

"Pretreated seeds will germinate within 2 weeks in a greenhouse or outdoors after the soil has warmed. Plant the seeds in individiual containers that are deep enough to accommodate a relatively long initial root. The soil medium should be extremely well drained and drenched with a fungicide before the seeds are sown....Seedlings should be given light (30%) shade the first spring and summer to encourage more elongated shoot growth."