Wednesday - March 02, 2011

From: Cedar Creek, TX
Title: Propagation of evergreen sumac by cuttings from Cedar Creek TX

I seek an ”Evergreen Sumac” propagation method by cuttings.

Rhus virens (Evergreen sumac), according to our Native Plant Database, is propagated by seeds. Treated seed and root cuttings are used for increase. From this article from the Pacific Northwest Cooperative Extension Propagating Deciduous and Evergreen Shrubs, Trees and Vines with Stem Cuttings, we learned that all species of rhus (sumac) are best propagated  by softwood cuttings in the summer. Of course, all sumacs spread by suckering off the "mother" plant, and you will see clusters of sumacs in the wild, all one plant, with clones spreading out from it.

The best resource we know of in terms of propagation techniques for the home gardener, and for all types of plants, is this one from North Dakota State University Extension Home Propagation Techniques.

Rhus virens

Rhus virens

Rhus virens

Rhus virens