Tuesday - March 01, 2011

From: Richardson, TX
Title: Where to purchase a Clematis pitcherii (purple leather flower) in North Texas

Do you know where in north Texas I can purchase a Clematis pitcheri, or Purple leather flower? I've looked for several years and have had no luck. Thanks!

We have a database of providers of native plant services (nurseries, seed companies, landscapers, etc.) in our National Suppliers Directory that you can search by location.  From that list, Wichita Valley Nursery in Wichita Falls shows them listed for sale.  Stuart Nursery, Inc. in Weatherford has a list of some of the native plants it carries.  It could be worth your while to call them to see if they have Clematis pitcheri (Purple clematis) even though it's not listed.  Weston Gardens in Fort Worth lists several varieties of Clematis although they don't list Clematis pitcheri.  Again it could be worth your while to call them.

Some of the chapters of the Native Plant Society of Texas (NPSOT) have listings on their webpages of nurseries in their area that specialize in native plants.  The Collin County Chapter lists the Bruce Miller Nursery in Richardson; but the website doesn't list what is available for sale.  The North Central Texas Chapter has a list of native plant nurseries in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Good luck in your search!

Purple leatherflower
Clematis pitcheri