Thursday - February 24, 2011

From: Bay and Estuary, TX
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Poisonous plants of Texas Bays and Estuaries

QUESTION:

What is a poisonous native plants of the Bay and Estuary system in Southeast Texas?

ANSWER:

Because we were not sure what area is involved, we found this website from Texas Parks and Wildlife Conservation of Texas Bays and Estuaries.  Since you did not give us the name of the town you are writing from, we could not look for a list of plants growing natively in your area that appear on some poisonous plants lists. We can give you some websites that feature poisonous plants of Texas. If you need only one or two, as for a homework assignment, you can look at these lists and determine which of those plants live in South Texas. You can do this by going to our Native Plant Database, searching for that plant by scientific or common name, and reading our page on that plant. It will tell you what kind of environment that plant likes and whether it is poisonous.

South Texas Poison Center

Texas Junior Naturalists

Toxic Plants of Texas

Common Poisonous Plants and Plant Parts

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is dedicated to the growth, propagation and protection of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which the plants are being grown. There is a possibility that plants you identify as being in the South Texas Bay and Estuary area are not native to North America, in which case they will not appear in our database.