En EspaŅol
Share

Ask Mr. Smarty Plants

Mr. Smarty Plants - Need to know if coral honeysuckle is toxic to dogs in North Port, FL.

Ask Mr. Smarty Plants is a free service provided by the staff and volunteers at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center.

Search Smarty Plants
    
 
See a list of all Smarty Plants questions
Can't find the answer in our existing FAQs, submit a question to Mr. Smarty Plants.

Need help with plant identification, visit the plant identification page.
 
rate this answer
1 rating

Tuesday - March 01, 2011

From: North Port, FL
Region: Southeast
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Need to know if coral honeysuckle is toxic to dogs in North Port, FL.
Answered by: Jimmy Mills

QUESTION:

Could you please tell me if coral honeysuckle is toxic to dogs. I would like to plant it in my backyard, but do not plant anything that would be toxic to my dog if she decided to chew on it. Thank you

ANSWER:

The Coral Honeysuckle Lonicera sempervirens (Coral honeysuckle) is a handsome evergreen vine that is a fine addition to your landscape. When we are asked about toxic plants, we usually go to the databases listed below. We did not find Lonicera sempervirens in any of the lists which is a good indication that it is not toxic. The Canadian Poisonous Plants Information Sytem listed two other species of Lonicera as being toxic: Lonicera japonica (Japanese honeysuckle) and Lonicera tartarica. In addition, both of these are non-natives and are considered invasive species in the U.S.

 

Toxic Plants of Texas

Poisonous Plants of North Carolina

Poisonous Plants of the Southern United States

Cornell University Plants Poisonous to Livestock

University of Pennsylvania Poisonous Plants

Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System

California Poison Action Line

Florida Poison Information Center

ASPCA

Aggie Horticulture 


Lonicera sempervirens

 

 


 

 

 

More Poisonous Plants Questions

Identity of plant that looks like green onions
April 06, 2013 - I have what looks like green onions growing in my lawn. They have small white flowers. Are they edible?
view the full question and answer

Damaged leaves on bottlebrush buckeye from Glen Mills PA
June 09, 2013 - My recently planted bottlebrush buckeye plants' leaves are looking damaged but it doesn't look like insect or fungus damage. They look battered by wind but I don't understand why that would happen...
view the full question and answer

Groundcover for Orange County, Florida
April 14, 2012 - I live in Central FL (Winter Park)and I have a small, mostly sunny (no trees) backyard next to a large in-ground swimming pool which fills up with the leaves of my neighbor's oak trees. The backyard ...
view the full question and answer

Is horseherb toxic to chickens in Austin, TX?
November 05, 2012 - My yard is almost completely horseherb (straggler daisy, calyptocarpus vialis) and I am hoping you can tell me if this is safe for chickens to eat? As common as it is here, there is nothing I could fi...
view the full question and answer

Getting rid of wild plums (Prunus angustifolia)
July 28, 2008 - When I bought my land, there was a humongous thicket of wild plums (Prunus angustifolia) approx 10 ft high and covering 5-10 acres. I raise goats, and have known that wild plums (the leaves) can cause...
view the full question and answer

Smarty Plants's Facebook profile Support the Wildflower Center by Donating Online or Becoming a Member today.

Mr. Smarty Plants wants you to be his Facebook friend. Click the Facebook icon to add yourself to Mr. Smarty Plants list of friends.
E-NEWSLETTER | BECOME A MEMBER | DONATE NOW | MEDIA | SITEMAP
© 2014 Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center