Tuesday - March 01, 2011

From: North Port, FL
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Need to know if coral honeysuckle is toxic to dogs in North Port, FL.

QUESTION:

Could you please tell me if coral honeysuckle is toxic to dogs. I would like to plant it in my backyard, but do not plant anything that would be toxic to my dog if she decided to chew on it. Thank you

ANSWER:

The Coral Honeysuckle Lonicera sempervirens (Coral honeysuckle) is a handsome evergreen vine that is a fine addition to your landscape. When we are asked about toxic plants, we usually go to the databases listed below. We did not find Lonicera sempervirens in any of the lists which is a good indication that it is not toxic. The Canadian Poisonous Plants Information Sytem listed two other species of Lonicera as being toxic: Lonicera japonica (Japanese honeysuckle) and Lonicera tartarica. In addition, both of these are non-natives and are considered invasive species in the U.S.

Toxic Plants of Texas

Poisonous Plants of North Carolina

Poisonous Plants of the Southern United States

Cornell University Plants Poisonous to Livestock

University of Pennsylvania Poisonous Plants

Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System

California Poison Action Line

Florida Poison Information Center

ASPCA

Aggie Horticulture