Thursday - April 20, 2006

From: Beijing China, Other
Region: Other
Topic: Green Roofs
Title: Plants for green roof gardens in Beijing, China
Answered by: Dean Garrett

QUESTION:

I`m wondering if you would know what plants native to the area around Beijing China would be good candidates for extensive green roof gardens? Also, do you think that those hearty little pesky plants and bushes that grow along the sides of highways with seemingly little or no toehold on good growing conditions might be suitable? Thank you for any advise you can offer me.

ANSWER:

Since our expertise is with plants native to North America, I'm going to refer you to the recently published Flora of China for ideas about what to plant near Beijing.

Extensive green roofs can be planted with a variety of shallow-rooted, low-weight plants, likely including the lovers of disturbed soil you see along highways, at least those with shallow root systems. Garden soils are also disturbed and roadside plants often do very well there, as long as they receive the requisite sunlight and rainfall. Here are some green roof links for more information:

Green Roof Research
Green Roofs for Healthy Cities
Scandinavian Green Roof Institute