Thursday - February 10, 2011

From: Graford, TX
Title: Identification of low growing plants with flowers that resemble a bunch of grapes in Graford, TX

QUESTION:

I am in northwest TX and I would like to know the name of the early blooming, very low growing plant that has a single bloom on a bare stem--it is dark crimson and the blooms looks like a bunch of grapes. It blooms about the same time that the lily of the valley blooms.

ANSWER:

A little searching based on your description leads to the genus Muscari, sometimes called Grape Hyacinth. This is a genus introduced from Eurasia, and as such falls outside our area of focus which is to increase the sustainable use and conservation of native wildflowers, plants and landscapes.

I've included a couple of links to help you determine the name of the plant that you have, and to learn about its care.

Theplantexpert.com

Pacifficbulbsociety.org

I didn't find any mention of crimson flowers in the the descriptions that I read. If after looking at these two sites you are still unsure of the name of the plant, I encourage you to go to our Plant Identification Page  to avail yourself of the Plant Identification Forums that are listed there.