Tuesday - February 08, 2011

From: Austin , TX
Topic: Pruning, Seasonal Tasks, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Cutting back perennials from Austin

QUESTION:

When is it time to cut back native plants; salvia;copper canyon daisy; verbena, etc?

ANSWER:

Most Texas perennial flowering plants need some cutting back when they have dropped their leaves. Many can actually be cut to the ground, as they are going to come back from the roots, but we like to leave a few 6-inch stalks standing up so we know that's a plant we planted, and not a weed that needs to be yanked. Always clean up around your plants, taking away dropped leaves and stems, to help prevent mildew, disease and insect damage.