Monday - January 10, 2011

From: Cedar Park, TX
Title: Where can seeds or plants of Ruellia nudiflora be obtained from Cedar Park TX

Where can I purchase Ruellia nudiflora seeds or plants?

Here is some information from our webpage on Ruellia nudiflora (Violet ruellia):

"Growing Conditions

Water Use: Low , Medium
Light Requirement: Sun , Part Shade , Shade
Soil Moisture: Moist , Dry
Soil Description: Sandy
Conditions Comments: Wild petunia is very easy to grow, spreading vigorously from seed, which in some cases may be problematic. Adds a nice touch to woodland gardens and to walkways. Works well as a groundcover and tolerants mowing. Differs from Drummonds wild petunia because both the flowers and the plant are smaller. Good nectar and larval food source for many butterflies. Cut back after each flush of blossoms to keep compact and blooming all summer."

As you can see from this USDA Plant Profile, it is native to this area, and can even become invasive. See the page on the Wildflower Center Plant Sales for information about our Spring Plant Sale. There is a link on that page to the list of plants that are slated to be sold there; Ruellia nudiflora (Violet ruellia) is not presently listed there, but this is early days, so check back from time to time. The Native Plant Society of Texas always has some plants and seeds for sale there, and Native American Seed has seeds of grasses and wildflowers. While we checked both sites we did not find the seeds of the plant you want listed, you can check back with them, as well.

We have two more suggestions: The first is to look around for some of these plants growing in neighbors' gardens, and ask for a start or seeds from them. Do not go into fields and dig them up without the express permission of the landholder, even if it is the City. The other suggestion is to go to our National Suppliers Directory, type in your town and state in the "Enter Search Location" box and you will get a list of native plant nurseries, seed suppliers and consultants in your general area. All have contact information and most have websites so you can inquire. Sometimes, even if they don't stock something they may be able to direct you to a supplier that does.

Ruellia nudiflora

Ruellia nudiflora

Ruellia nudiflora

Ruellia nudiflora