Sunday - January 23, 2011

From: Magnolia, TX
Title: Finding Buffalograss Sod in the Houston Area
Answered by: Stephen Scace

QUESTION:

Do you have a source for Buffalo Grass plugs or sod in the Magnolia/ Houston area?

ANSWER:

Our National Suppliers Directory is a searchable database of sources for native plants, seeds and related services. Entering "Magnolia, Texas" as a search term will generate an up-to-date list of nearby sources.

Some suppliers are associates of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center that offer discounts to our members. A big lawn might provide a handsome return on your membership investment from joining up.

That said, Mr. Smarty Plants would be remiss if he failed to mention that Montgomery County lies a little outside the native range of Bouteloua dactyloides (Buffalograss). Further, the pineywoods and sandy soils may not provide ideal conditions for Buffalograss, which needs full sun and does not do well in sand.

Nevertheless, Buffalograss does occur naturally nearby, and if your site is sunny and the soil is loamy or clayey, it may do very well. Given the your rainy climate, it will probably require no irrigation once established.

Our How-To Article on Native Lawns:Buffalograss covers this topic in much greater detail. Mr. Smarty Plants recommends it unreservedly.