Thursday - April 06, 2006

From: Mescalero, NM
Topic: Wildflower Center
Title: Ball moss (Tallandsia recurvata), epiphyte on oaks at Wildflower Center
Answered by: Damon Waitt

I visited your center a couple weeks ago, was very impressed with the educational aspects. I noticed the epiphyte commonly growing in the oak trees, and also on the elm oak. Do you have the name of this plant?

Yes, the epiphyte is not truly a moss even though it is called Ball Moss (Tillandsia recurvata). It is a close cousin to Spanish Moss (Tillandsia usneoides). You can find out more about this member of the pineapple family by clicking here.