Thursday - December 16, 2010

From: Montgomery, TX
Title: How close to plant Prunus carolinia for a privacy buffer in Montgomery, TX.

QUESTION:

I recently purchased some Prunus caroliniana trees for a privacy buffer between my neighbor and me. I have not yet planted them. They are in 25 gallon buckets and are about 10 feet tall now. How much do these species spread out laterally when full grown. That will help me decide how far apart to plant them. Thanks !!

ANSWER:

Prunus caroliniana Prunus caroliniana (Cherry laurel) with its white blossoms can be spectacular as a single specimen tree in your landscape, or with proper spacing and pruning, it can be pressed into service as an attractive privacy hedge. I'm including three links that describe the plant,  and from the reading you can see that the tree can reach a height of 40' with a width ranging from 15 to 30'. The size is of course affected by growing conditions and pruning. Also be aware of the warnings about the toxicity of the plant.

North Carolina State University

Backyard Gardener

University of Florida Extension

Knowing the possible size of the plants, you are ready to do some planning and planting. Here are three links that can give you some guidance.

Landsteward.com

Northscaping.com

Purdue University Cooperative Extension

For another source of help closer to home, contact the folks at the Mongomery County Extension Office.

Prunus caroliniana

Prunus caroliniana