Saturday - December 11, 2010

From: Dunellon, FL
Title: Origin of name of hybrid Ilex x attenuata

Could you please tell me where Eagleson, or also called Eagleston Holly got its name ?

No, sorry. This plant is a hybrid of Ilex opaca (American holly) and Ilex cassine (Dahoon) which means it falls out of our area of expertise, that being plants native to North America. This article from Backyard Gardener has information about its cultivation. Usually names like this are either assigned to it by whoever hybridized the plant or even the nursery that is offering it for sale. Names can be trademarked or just chosen for enhanced sales appeal.