Mr. Smarty Plants - Sooty mold on Texas Sage in Heath TX

Thursday - December 09, 2010

From: Heath (near Dallas), TX
Topic: Diseases and Disorders
Title: Sooty mold on Texas Sage in Heath TX

QUESTION:

I have a Texas Sage that has developed a mildew, blight, fungus or (?) condition. Something has attacked the leaves with a black sooty condition. What is this and what can I do to help this plant thrive?

ANSWER:

We just recently received and answered another question on the same subject, but from Uvalde County, clear across the state from your area. This indicates to us this is not a unique situation. Because we are neither plant pathologists nor entomologists, we cannot pinpoint a precise cause. We suggest that you first follow the link above to read our previous answer, and then contact the TexaS A&M AgriLIfe Extension Office for either Rockwall or Kaufman County.