Friday - December 03, 2010

From: Floral Park, NY
Title: Care for non-native Spathiphyllum from Floral Park, NY

I have a medium to large size friendship lily indoor plant that was once magnificent when first purchased it. I lost plenty of lush green leaves to brown spots. The health has improved( I moved location, cut back all damaged parts, and I recently re-planted in a larger pot and added new soil. The leaves are always droopy as if the water is not getting through the roots properly. Is there anything else I can do to get this plant perky again. I have a much smaller version of this plant and the leaves droop when dry and perk right up after watering. The larger plant does not respond that way. Thanks for your input

Spathiphyllum, Peace Lily or Friendship Lily, is a tropical house plant, originating in Malaysia and the Phillipines. As such, it falls out of our area of expertise, which is the growth, propagation and protection of plants native not only to North America but to the areas in which the plant is being grown. This article on Spathiphyllum can give you some valuable information on the lighting, feeding and insect pests for this plant; hopefully, you will find the answer to your question there.