Sunday - November 28, 2010

From: San Antonio, TX
Title: Non-native Japanese maple in San Antonio

I want to plant a Shaina Japanese maple in San Antonio, how do I plant it? I want to plant it near the house near the front door. The tree will be blocked by the house so it does not get too much afternoon sun. My soil is shallow due to limestone. I have a 8 oaks in my yard and want some other tree types at the house.

Acer palmatum, Japanese maple, is a native of, well, Japan, and therefore out of our range of expertise at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, where we are dedicated to the growth, propagation and protection of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which they are being grown. 'Shaina' is a dwarf selection of Japanese maple. From the Missouri Botanical Garden, here is an article with information on the cultivation of this tree.