Monday - November 29, 2010

From: Buda, TX
Topic: Pruning, Trees
Title: Need information about pruning Persimmon trees in Buda, TX.

QUESTION:

Mr. Smarty, We have many wild persimmon trees in our yard. Some I want prune to bush size. What is the best way to prune these trees and to what extent can they be safely pruned. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

ANSWER:

There are two species of native persimmons that occur in Texas; one is Diospyros texana (Texas persimmon), and the other is Diospyros virginiana (Common persimmon). We are guessing that you have the Texas persimmon. The growth rate is slow, so keeping it pruned as a shrub should not be a problem.

I'm including several links regarding tree pruning; the information is pretty much the same in each, but the clarity of presentation and quality of illustrations vary from source to source.

Purdue University

Aggie Horticulture

University of California Davis

Texas persimmon
Diospyros texana

Texas persimmon
Diospyros texana

Texas persimmon
Diospyros texana

Common persimmon
Diospyros virginiana

Common persimmon
Diospyros virginiana