Tuesday - November 16, 2010

From: Edinburg , TX
Title: April Wildflowers for South Texas
Answered by: Mike Tomme

Can you tell me what wildflowers grow well in south Texas? I would like to plant in the fall for bloom in April. Is this possible?

April is the best month for Texas wildflowers. Here's how to generate a list. Go to Wildflower.org and select the "Explore Plants" tab. Scroll down until you see the map of the United States and click on south Texas (twice). This will give you a list of all the of plants Mr. Smarty Plants recommends for south Texas. To narrow the list down, selct "herb" under General Appearance and check "April" under bloom time. Then click "Narrow Your Search." This results in a list of 22 flowers which is probably more than you want to plant.

Since south Texas can include any thing from semi-desert to semi-tropical some of these plants will not be appropriate to your site. So. you can narrow the list further by checking the boxes under "Light Requirement" and "Soil Moisture" that best reflect the conditions at your location. Then you can choose your favorite colors and the height of flower you would like. Click "Narrow Your Search" after you make your choices and you should get to a custom made list for your conditions and your preferences.

Here is an April blooming favorite of almost all Texans:

Lupinus texensis