Monday - October 25, 2010

Title: Plant identification of yellow daisy-like flowers blooming in Austin

QUESTION:

What is the name of the yellow daisy-like bush that is blooming now all over the Hill Country of Texas? The plant varies from 3 to 5 feet. The petals on the bloom vary from 8 to 10. The flowers are on a stem without leaves and branch into three parts.

ANSWER:

Your description sounds like Amphiachyris dracunculoides (Prairie broomweed), a member of the Family Asteraceae (Aster Family).  There are lots of them  in fields around Austin right now.  It is a very good year for them.

There is another yellow daisy-like flower, Viguiera dentata (Sunflower goldeneye), also in the Family Asteraceae, making a big show in the Austin area as well. There is an especially nice stand near the Pedernales River crossing on the road to Westcave Preserve on Hamilton Pool Road southwest of Austin.

Amphiachyris dracunculoides

Amphiachyris dracunculoides

Amphiachyris dracunculoides

Amphiachyris dracunculoides

Viguiera dentata

Viguiera dentata

Viguiera dentata

Viguiera dentata