Tuesday - November 02, 2010

Topic: Pruning, Trees
Title: Need advice for pruning a young Bur Oak tree in Austin, TX.

QUESTION:

I grew a beautiful bur oak from seed, and three years later it is now taller than I am. I hate to cut anything off this tree and hurt it, but there are two branches that are rubbing together and growing crosswise. Do I have to cut one of them off or will they sort themselves out? thanks!

ANSWER:

Just curious, but how tall are you?

The Bur Oak Quercus macrocarpa (Bur oak)  can grow into a magnificent tree with proper care, and a part of that care includes careful and prudent pruning. Removing one of the two limbs that are rubbing is a must.

Here are two sources with a lots of information about the ins and outs of pruning.

University of Maryland Extension

Purdue University University Cooperative Extension Service

Bear in mind, there is more to pruning than just cutting off limbs.

Bur oak
Quercus macrocarpa