Monday - October 25, 2010

From: Albuquerque, NM
Title: Quaking Aspens in Albuquerque
Answered by: Mike Tomme

How do quaking aspens fare in north east Albuquerque?

How well Populus tremuloides (Quaking aspen) does in your location is going to depend on elevation. Aspens grow n the mountains northeast of Albuquerque, but not in the desert northeast of Albuquerque.

Take a look around you. What do you see growing at your elevation? If you see Pinus ponderosa (Ponderosa pine) you have a very good chance. If you see cactus and yuccas forget it. If you see pinyon pines and junipers, then maybe, maybe not.

If you choose to go ahead, remember that an aspen is a short lived tree and is subject to many disease and insect problems.

Populus tremuloides