Tuesday - November 09, 2010

Title: Do Fleming yaupons make pollen

I have been told that all Will Fleming yaupons are male and can serve as effective pollinators for female yaupons (the females I have are Pride of Houston variety). Is this true? Also, can dwarf yaupons serve as pollinators?

The 'Will Fleming' Ilex vomitoria (Yaupon) is, indeed, a male with a columnar form.  They do produce staminate flowers that have pollen to fertilize the female pistillate flowers.  'Schillings Dwarf' and 'Stokes's Dwarf' are both male yaupons and both produce pollen.  You can see pictures of these and other cultivars of Ilex vomitoria on the Learn2Grow web page.