En EspaÑol

Saturday - October 16, 2010

From: Leander, TX
Title: Dividing Gulf muhly in Leander TX
Answered by: Mike Tomme

I purchased a 1-gallon pot of Gulf Muhly (muhlenbergia capillaris) and am wondering if I can divide the clump in order to make my purchase go further. And, regarding that method of propagation, could I then do the same thing with the original plant/s after several years of growth? I live in Leander.

Muhlenbergia capillaris (Gulf muhly) can be propagated either by seeds or by root division so your idea should work. Keep in mind, though, that Gulf muhly can grow to be up to three feet tall, so a plant growing in a one gallon container is not mature and may get set back significantly if it is divided.

If you decide to go ahead, it is best to do the division while the plant is dormant. Plant in full sun in well drained soil.

Muhlenbergia capillaris