Mr. Smarty Plants - Identification of thorny tree with lemon-like fruit

Thursday - October 14, 2010

From: Nashville, TN
Title: Identification of thorny tree with lemon-like fruit

QUESTION:

What would be a small lemon like fruit that grows on a bush with large thorns? The fruit is about the size of a golf ball, kind of fuzzy yellow skin like a lemon and smells like a cross between an orange and a lemon. The flesh is like that of a lemon.

ANSWER:

This sounds like Poncirus trifoliata (hardy orange or trifoliate orange), an introduced species from China.  It is listed on the Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health Invasive.org website and by TexasInvasives.org.  If this isn't the plant you have seen, please take photos and send them to us and we will do our best to identify it.  Visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page to read the instructions for submitting photos.