Mr. Smarty Plants - Propagation of non-native Jerusalem Sage from Marble Falls, TX

Monday - October 11, 2010

From: Marble Falls, TX
Title: Propagation of non-native Jerusalem Sage from Marble Falls, TX

QUESTION:

What is the best way to propagate Jerusalem Sage? I've located a plant and I want to get some going.

ANSWER:

Phlomis fruticosa, Jerusalem Sage, is native to the Meditteranean area, including Cypress, Turkey and Greece, and therefore falls out of our area of expertise. Since we will have no information on this plant in our Native Plant Database, we suggest you read this article from Desert Tropicals on its characteristics. According to that article, you should consider taking cuttings, which you can do in Spring or Fall, and it is hardy in USDA Hardiness Zones 8 and 9. Even if we have another "pop freeze" in Central Texas, it is root-hardy and will grow back. If you are inexperienced in taking cuttings of woody plants, here is an article from North Caroline State University on Plant Propagation by Stem Cuttings that has some of the best information on this subject that we have found.