Wednesday - September 29, 2010

From: Bee Cave, TX
Title: Plant identification

What is the name of the beautiful pink flowers with tiny Orchid-like blossoms occurring now all alongside the highways in the Bee Cave, TX and hill country area? Is it "slenderleaf false foxglove", "flaxleaf false foxglove" or "ridgestem false foxglove"??? I would greatly appreciate your advice!

Mr. Smarty Plants believes what you are seeing is one of the species of Agalinis—either Agalinis edwardsiana (Plateau false foxglove) or Agalinis heterophylla (Prairie false foxglove)Agalinis tenuifolia (Slenderleaf false foxglove), Agalinis linifolia (Flaxleaf false foxglove) and Agalinis oligophylla (Ridgestem false foxglove) don't occur in the Central Texas region.  It is rather difficult to tell the species of Agalinis apart.  You can read about the features of each of the plants on pp. 992 and 993 in the online version of Shinners & Mahler's Flora of North Central Texas.

Here are photos from our Image Gallery:

Agalinis edwardsiana

Agalinis heterophylla